We had a short week in school this week so I had some time to make herb and cheese pull-apart bread!
Here we go!
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh herbs, any combination that suits you
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar and jalapeño jack)
- freshly ground black pepper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine the water, sugar, and yeast. Add the 2 cups of flour, salt, and the butter then mix until dough is formed. The dough will not be smooth at this point!
- Switch to the dough hook, and with the mixer on low speed, add the all-purpose flour, a few tablespoons at a time, until the dough forms. Knead 6 to 9 minutes until soft and easy to work with, and dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead to form a smooth ball. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size. (The picture below is of the dough after is has risen)
4. Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the herbs and garlic, melt the butter, and grate the cheese.
5. Roll the dough out into a 12 x 20-inch rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, then sprinkle the dough with the garlic, herbs, and cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
6. Cut the dough into 6 equally-sized strips using a pizza cutter or knife. Stack the strips on top of each other and cut into 6 equally-sized squares.
7. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, and stack the squares on top of each other in the pan.* If you lose some of the filling as you stack, just sprinkle it on top once the dough has been stacked. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the top.
8. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for about 40 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake the bread 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown and the inside is cooked through. If the top browns too quickly, you can cover the bread with foil.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from thetummytrain.com