What could be better than dark chocolate cupcakes? Dark chocolate cupcakes infused with coffee and topped with mocha frosting, of course!
Keep reading for the recipe, this one’s a keeper for sure.
Dark Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl (I use a stand up mixer), stir sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. It will be thick, kind of like brownie batter.
- Remove bowl from mixer. Stir instant coffee into boiling water, and add that to your batter. It will look and smell like hot chocolate and be very VERY thin. Don’t worry, it’s supposed to be like that.
- Pour into cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Set aside and let cool before frosting.
Mocha Frosting Ingredients
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 2/3 cups confectioner’s (icing) sugar
- In a heatproof bowl, stir your finely chopped chocolate and instant espresso powder together. Place over a pot of steaming water, making sure that the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Stir constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Once melted, remove from heat and put in the bowl of stand up mixer. Add softened butter and combine.
- Add icing sugar 1/3 cup at a time and beat until fluffy.
- The frosting may be a bit too soft from the heat of the chocolate. If this is the case, chill it in the fridge for a little while and you should be good to go!