1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp hot water
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
3 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips
- Using a stand up mixer beat softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugars and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing between each addition.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add to the butter and sugar. You can add the vanilla, salt, and cream of tartar at this time. Mix until combined.
- Add flour ½ cup at a time. Mix after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a 1.5 inch ice cream scoop to portion out cookies
- Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in flour.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a golden brown colour appears at the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. They will look slightly under done. Leave them on the tray to cool where they will continue to cook. This will leave you with cookies that are crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle.